Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chelsea Rolls

I was walking around the kitchen, when a thought struck me. I had not baked anything in so long, I was starting to miss it!! (I recently took a good long break of baking because I was doing it every day last summer.) So, I looked through some cookbooks I got from the library, and I saw one that looked fairly easy.  Usually, I pick super challenging ones, and it does not come out at all, but this certain recipe looked and sounded easy. Since I really haven't had much experience in baking with yeast, I thought I should continue learning how to do it.

So, I began on an adventure baking with yeast. First, I mixed the wet ingredients, that went okay, then I mixed the dry ingredients. It was going good until I came to the spot with the yeast. It called for 1/4 of a packet of yeast. What in the world was that supposed to mean?? So, I did the next best thing, I searched on Google. And I read that there are 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast in a packet. Okay....all I had to do was divide that by 4. And you come out with a little more than a 1/2 teaspoon. "Wow, this was easier than I thought" I said to myself.
I mixed all ingredients together and kneaded it for 5 minutes. Then I put it in a bowl with plastic wrap over and let it rise for an hour. 

I must have waited 3 hours for that bread. It took so long for it to double in size. I just couldn't think what I did wrong. So, I rolled the non-risen dough out, and made Chelsea rolls,(they are like cinnamon rolls except there is cinnamon, raisins, and honey in the middle.)And I baked them, and they tasted like mushy yeasty bread.  Blah! I was stuck in a real pickle. Great, now what was I supposed to do. I was originally making these for my Dad, because he likes it when I make him desserts. But I don't think he'll enjoy these.

Then Mom came home. The queen (in my head) of yeast!! We went through the recipe together and figured out that I was supposed to weigh out a 1/4 of and ounce of yeast. Ohhhh. That makes more sense. I didn't put enough yeast. That's why it took so long for it to rise!!

So, I began the proses of the Chelsea Rolls again, only this time I knew exactly what to do.(thanks the help of my mother.) And they turned out great!! Way better than the ones I baked before.



Joyfully in Him,
   Diana<3

No comments:

Post a Comment