Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Herb/Flower Garden

This is my herb/flower garden. Last November/December, I had this idea that I wanted to start a garden.  So, I started making plans on what I should plant, where I should plant it,  how it should look, etc.  I even planned to make a sunhat that I could wear while I was gardening.

Then, one February day, Dad came into my room and gave me all sorts of seed packets.  I shouted,  "YIPPEE!!!!!".   I was so excited.  But then I remembered I had a hard time with seeds.  I could NEVER get them to grow!  I once had this kit, that said you could grow your own wheat-----and it died because I watered it so much.   The box said to water every day. Anyway, I can never get anything to grow.  So, I told Dad this story, and he said that we could use a seed starter box.  Then I was kind of happy.

April came.  Dad and I planted the seeds into the plant starter and watered it.  In a few days I saw little sprouts.  And then, one Sunday afternoon, I went to move my plants outside and I saw that they were really tall!!!!!  I shouted for Mom and told her that and she got scared because she thought I hurt myself.

After a few days of watering and carrying them inside and out to get sunlight, I saw that they were shriveled up.  They were DEAD!!!  I could not believe my eyes!  My plants were dead!  I told Dad and he said that we would get new seeds and a green light.  He said that the green light would work and we should have started with the green light in the first place.  Then, as I was reading my science book,  something drew my eyeball!  The book said that plants will grow very tall to try to find the sunlight and if they don't find it,  they die.  That was the answer to my problem.

After Dad came home from work, I told him about the sunlight and he said that was probably the problem.  After we put the green light up and waited a few days, I saw little sprouts growing.  Once it became warm, Dad said we should plant the little sprouts outside. And we did.  I watered them ever day (with my watering can that is now broken because I was coming out of the house and I didn't see it lying on the floor and CRACK!!--there went the watering can) because I felt compassion for the little sprouts.

So, after a few days of rain, I went to check on my little plants and they weren't there.  I looked again and saw that they were crushed from the dirt that rolled on them.  I couldn't take it any more.  I was about to give up on my, so-called "garden".  Dad came home that night and he saw my crushed plants and said that we would buy some already-grown plants from the store.

On Mothers Day, Dad, Mom, and I went to Home Depot to buy some flowers and herbs.  It was a good day.  After we came home, Dad showed me where all the plants should go----and--I did something that I always dreamed of doing---I planted my own plants in my own garden with my own shovel.  (Well, it wasn't actually my own shovel.)  But, after that big problem, my plants started to grow. 


Here are the plants in my garden. In case you can't see the labels.
Lemon Balm
 Camamil
 Oregano
 Dianthus
 Orange Spark Symphony Flowers
 Basil
 Thyme
 Lavender
Sunflower
 You can sort of see the little sprouts in the ground.
 My Garden.
 Here is my sunhat that I made.
 Garden gloves that Mom bought for me. I didn't get to use them yet. That's why they look so new.
Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment